Monday, January 19, 2009

my little slice of office

I moved to Iowa at the beginning of August, 2008 and at the time, the only desk I had was one that matched the bedroom set I got when I was in first grade.  It was pretty tiny; not really enough space to have a computer and a book open at the same time.  Luckily, the studio apartment I moved in to had a large, built-in desk that worked perfectly.  Needless to say, I left my old desk at home--one less piece of furniture to move six hours up the road.

I moved into this two bedroom apartment on December 1st, 2008.  While it has more space and is a perfectly nice, functional apartment, it isn't nearly as cool as the studio.  No high ceilings, no storefront look, no hardwood floors, no floor to ceiling windows, etc.  While my roommate and I are more than happy to have an apartment that keeps the Iowa winters out and our heat in, there are some things our apartment lacks that we would love to have if we had the money to pay for them.  I was mostly missing the built in desk; I spent the weeks before finals writing papers at the dining "area" table while my roommate played Nintendo and watched Desperate Housewives.  It wasn't the optimal working environment.

But ah the triumph of man!  Today, while I was at Target picking up some Seventh Generation laundry soap, I found a missionary-style desk that fit the space I had available (not much) and was big enough to spread out a bit of research or grading on.  It only took me an hour to put together and looks positively delightful.  What is more, I can finally unpack my "office supplies" box that has been sitting around annoying me for the past month and a half.  I am as tickled pink as when I got my bedroom set in the first grade.  I have some serious nesting instincts.

No comments: