Friday, December 5, 2008

new apartment, new outlook?

Here I am living in Ames, IA. Same general location, new apartment, new roommate. I am laying in bed trying to figure some things out, and I have come to the conclusion that it is too soon to make any conclusions. Let's ponder the positives: In the last four months I have lost fifteen of the seven hundred billion pounds that I gained while I was on antidepressants (and am getting a gym membership on Monday), I have proved to myself that I can survive, thrive, even enjoy living while distanced from my family, and I have done reasonably well the first semester of my masters program. The negatives? Really there is just one: I feel like I might be ready to take a step or two towards what I want in my life, and I have faltered in this place before. This is the place, about three years ago, that I felt free, unburdened, and myself for the first time in my life. I overstepped, I misstepped, I got scared, I lost control, and I turned and ran. I thought I was ready for this, but I screwed up again and it feels like I am standing over a crevasse with one leg on each side. What happens when the space between where I am and where I want to go gets too wide and I have to make a choice? I hope I don't screw it up.

No comments: