Friday, July 13, 2007

penpal

I remember the days when I used to have a penpal. It was an optional thing, a part of my French class. I am pretty sure my French teacher wanted us to sign up for a French penpal, but I didn't. I signed up for one from Malaysia because the Petronas towers had just been built, and they were the tallest buildings in the world and that country was suddently hopelessly cool in my eyes. I remember writing only one letter to him--the response I wrote to his first and only letter. It was a fascinating experience. I wish I still had that letter, but I don't. During a bout of frenzied cleaning I thew it away--apparently because it had little sentimental value to me at the time.

I recently checked out a book called 52 Projects--a book about projects and how they affect one's life. The projects are of all different types--anything from starting a stamp collection, to writing all of your old teachers and telling them what you remember about thier classes. I haven't officially started a project yet, but just reading the book gives me inspiration. I think getting a penpal would be fun. Having someone to share my experience with, and getting to share someone else's experience would be well worth my time.

1 comment:

ams said...

marc, so good to see you.
i'm so looking forward to reading your stuff again! i'd be your penpal, but something tells me you're looking for someone a little more interesting. :)